Wednesday, March 07, 2012

The Great Depression is Coming!

Many parallels can be made between now and the Great Depression of the 1930s
Well there's something quite important about my life that most of my blog readers don't know. To you I'm probably just this guy who writes things about politics on the internet. And yes, I am him. But I'm also a guy who writes lyrics and performs vocals in a musical project called Torture Garden, and we're currently in the process of putting together a new album - our third, following Rotisserie Of Pain (2009) and Dead Romantic (2011). So I'm going to tell you a bit about how it's going every once in a while, in a shameless act of self-promotion.

I started writing the lyrics for The Great Depression maybe a decade ago. The title was inspired by something Brad Pitt's character said in Fight Club: "We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives." At the time that really struck a chord with me, because I was struggling with my own personal depression, and was linking how I felt to wider conditions in society. But when I listened to even some of my favourite artists of the time, though many would go on about feeling sad, isolated and lonely, few would ever ask 'why?' So I decided to do that in a series of lyrics.

I made some progress with that. Then believe it or not, one day in the autumn of 2003 I worked out that the global economy was heading for a massive crash - which would inevitably rival the one of 1929 - and a depression similar to the one of the 1930s. So my Great Depression lyrics got a new focus. We might have been doped by consumerism in a Fight Club way right then ("working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need" as Tyler Durden had it), but a new Depression was coming, and it would be really fucking dreadful for almost everyone on the planet. But at the same time, it would provide an opportunity for the human race to break down those invisible walls of separation, and get together to tear it all apart...before rebuilding.

As I type this in March 2012, my predictions are clearly coming true. That economic crisis began in 2007, and got worse in 2008/09, before politicians started telling us that we were in a 'recovery'. Sure, it's a recovery for their rich mates, but the rest of us are still seeing our living conditions slashed, to pay for their insatiable appetites. So people like you and me have been drawn onto the streets in Egypt, Greece, and increasingly all over the world, to fight against this rich man's system. This is the background of The Great Depression - an album which I believe will convey more than a little of the past, present and future - how we got here, where we are now, and possible ways of life beyond this near hell.

We're a heavy metal band, so it's also going to fucking rock, but I just wanted to give you an introductory flavour of what it is about thematically. In this way I'm giving you enough time to get appropriately excited!

Torture Garden's Last FM page
Torture Garden's Reverbation page
Follow Torture Garden on Twitter
Become a fan of Torture Garden on Facebook
Post a Comment

Disqus for Infantile Disorder